Here are a few tips and tricks of how to take proper care of cats: this means proper bathing, feeding, and grooming.
- Commercially available cat food includes everything that your cat requires. But never offer your cat bones -- they can splinter into sharp pieces and get stuck in your cat's throat which is an emergency and can be life-threatening. Do not feed dog food as it does not contain all vitamins and minerals that cats require to stay healthy.
- Free access to water is essential for cats as they frequently suffer from urinary and kidney problems. You should fill your cat's water bowl daily with cold tap water and freshen it often.
- If moist pet food is not eaten within two hours, refrigerate it. Dry food and biscuits are the only foods that can be left out for any length of time.
- Brushing of cats should be done daily especially for long hair cats. They often suffer from matted or tangled fur.
- Cats normally don't require bathing very often, but if they need a bath, it is better to get it done by professional groomers. Some cats do not behave very friendly when getting their bath and this can be quite exhausting for cat owners.
- Professional grooming place like the Royal Grooming Parlor of the ADFH Pet Care Center have not only extensive experience and specialized staff, but also special equipment to care for all different cat breeds.
- Nails can be clipped regularly but the claws should never be removed as cats require them e.g. for jumping.
- Your cat requires its own place, special cat toys and scratching trees to keep them happy and healthy. Moreover, each cat should have their own litter box. The litter should be regularly changed.
- When you are traveling and do not have somebody taking care of your cat, do NOT throw your cat in the street and abandon her. You have always a possibility to bring her to boarding facilities like the catteries of the ADFH Pet Care Center where you can keep her for the time of your stay abroad. Very competitive boarding charges enable everybody to keep their cat in boarding and to take them back home after your return.
- Regular check-ups and vaccination are required to keep you cat healthy.